Your living room is the heart of your home, and the wall above the sofa is its canvas. This space serves as the focal point of the room, drawing the eyes and attention of both residents and guests alike while creating a frame for the sofa.
In coastal home decor, this space offers a fantastic opportunity to infuse your room with the serene and relaxed vibes of the seaside. Whether you’re enjoying the ocean breeze from the Hamptons or from your coastal cottage, here’s how to make the most of this prime decorating real estate.
1. How and Where to Layout Decor Above the Sofa
Before deciding what to hang on the wall above the sofa (even if you already have an idea), let’s talk about canvas area, layouts, measurements and all that stuff. How and where to display decor above the sofa.
1.1. What Area of the Wall Above the Sofa Can you Fill?
Let’s define the canvas area, which refers to the entire wall space where you can arrange your decor.
The width of the wall canvas: To determine the width of the wall canvas, it should ideally be 2/3 of the width of your couch. You can calculate this by dividing the width of your sofa by 3 and then multiplying the result by 2. Alternatively, you can directly multiply the width of the sofa by 0.66 and round the number to the nearest whole
The height of the canvas area: The middle of the whole composition should be at 57” to 62” (150 cm) above the floor to stay at the eye level. The bottom edge of the composition should be between 8” to 10” (20-25 cm) above the sofa’s back.
The distance from the sofa: As already mentioned, the distance from the sofa to the canvas area is between 8” to 10” (20 to 25 cm). Too higher than that and the composition will look lost, disconnected. Too low will make it lose it’s space.
The center and middle of the wall area: With these measurements, you can now define the center and height of the composition by tracing diagonal lines from corner to corner (a-b; c-d).
Is it possible to hang the decor higher, closer to the ceiling? Yes, it can create a statement wall, but ensure it remains at least 8” to 10” (20-25 cm) below the ceiling and 8” to 10” (20-25 cm) above the sofa.
However, keep in mind that the closer the decor is to the ceiling, the lower the ceiling will appear
That means in small to medium size living rooms it may overwhelm the space and make the room look smaller. But it can work. Suppose you make a white framed gallery wall with just a small soft blue picture in the middle of a large white mat. You basically have a sort of wainscot white wall with small blue squares in the middle, right?
Can you go wider? Same as above. If you want to frame the sofa area with a statement wall then fill the sofa’s width and the wall height (with a space of 8”-10” (20-25 cm) from the sofa and the ceiling). But if the room is small, it may overwhelm it and make it look busy and smaller.
Remember that while these are guidelines, you have the freedom to play around with the measurements. Just avoid going too ‘out of bounds.
1.2. How to Layout Decor Above the Sofa and Create a Gallery Wall.
Now that you have identified the wall area to style, you can explore various combinations and decor pieces.
You can either place one large piece in the center, occupying the entire space or at least half of it. Alternatively, you can divide the area into 3 or 5 columns, or create 2 or 3 rows, such as 3 columns and 2 rows, to fashion a gallery wall or showcase multiple decor items.
When arranging multiple pieces, like in a gallery wall, maintain a distance of 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7 cm) between each piece.
For a clean coastal style, symmetry and cohesiveness work best, as the coastal aesthetic thrives on spacious and tranquil spaces. Therefore, it’s advisable to avoid trendy gallery walls with differing frame styles and cluttered layouts.
A helpful tip is to create a mock-up by cutting out paper in the same size as your frames or decor elements. Attach these paper cutouts to the wall area using masking tape or poster putty to visualize the overall look. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments before finalizing your arrangement
2. What to Hang Above the Sofa?
Now that you have determined the area and the layout to decor, it’s time to decide what items to hang above the sofa for a coastal style.
Coastal style encompasses a wide range of variations, spanning from rustic to sophisticated, modern to traditional, and everything in between. Therefore, your choice of decor should align with the specific coastal style you wish to evoke.
For rustic coastal styles, such as coastal farmhouse, coastal country, or rustic Hamptons, consider opting for weathered white or natural-colored wood frames, natural fiber elements, or bronze, iron, or brass nautical objects.
On the other hand, if you’re aiming for a more sophisticated coastal look, such as traditional Hamptons or coastal chic, you might lean towards polished white or brass frames, complemented by elegantly styled objects that contribute to a neat and refined ambiance.
Hang Coastal Artwork
One of the most straightforward and visually stunning ways to adorn the wall above your sofa is with coastal-themed artwork. Consider the following options:
- Seascape Paintings: Gorgeous depictions of waves crashing on the shore, serene beach scenes, or sailboats at sunset can transport you to the coast with just one glance.
- Gallery Wall: Create a gallery of smaller coastal artworks. Mix and match beach-inspired paintings, prints, and photographs. To maintain cohesion, choose frames with similar styles or colors.
- Nautical Charts: Framed nautical charts or maps of your favorite coastal destinations not only look fantastic but also add a personal touch to your decor.
Personalized Coastal Gallery
Personalize your coastal gallery wall with a mix of your favorite coastal images instead:
- Vacation Memories: Frame and hang photographs of your beach vacations or coastal adventures. These personal touches make your decor uniquely yours.
- Artistic Arrangement: Arrange the frames in a visually appealing manner, mixing in artwork or coastal-themed quotes that resonate with your love for the sea.
- Family Wall: Dedicate the wall above your sofa to family photos taken at the beach. Choose coordinating frames in white, gold or weathered wood to maintain a cohesive look.
Reflect Coastal Beauty with Mirrors
Mirrors are a versatile and strategic choice for enhancing your coastal decor:
- Reflect Light: Mirrors can brighten up your living space by reflecting natural light. Place a mirror above your sofa to amplify the sunlight streaming in through your windows. Either one large wall mirror, a gallery of small mirrors or one round mirror
- Add Elegance: Use a decorative mirror with a coastal or nautical frame, such as weathered wood or driftwood, rope, or one that mimics a boat hatch. This adds a touch of elegance to your decor. It not only reflects light but also reflects your refined taste.
Coastal Sculptures and Wall Decor
For an extra touch of coastal charm, consider adding sculptures or wall decor pieces:
- Beachcomber’s Bounty: Display found treasures like driftwood, seashells, and sea glass in shadow boxes or frames for a unique and beachy wall collage.
- Metal Wall Art: Choose metal sculptures or wall art pieces with a coastal theme, such as seagulls, starfish, or anchors.
Timeless Beachy Clocks
A large decorative wall clock can be a focal point of your coastal decor:
- Beach House Chic: Opt for a clock with a beachy or nautical design, like one with weathered wood, seashell accents, or a driftwood frame.
- Functional Elegance: Besides its aesthetic appeal, a wall clock serves a practical purpose and helps you keep track of time in your relaxing coastal oasis.
Wall Decals and Stencils
If you’re seeking an artistic and budget-friendly option, consider wall decals or stencils:
- Ocean Murals: Adorn your wall with a stunning ocean mural. It’s like having a window to the sea right in your living room.
- Stenciled Patterns: Stencils can create beautiful coastal patterns, from waves to seashells. Customize the colors to match your decor palette.
Coastal Greenery and Botanical Prints
Bring a touch of nature to your coastal decor with botanical prints:
- Botanical Prints: Framed botanical prints of coastal flora like seagrass, palm leaves, or beach roses add a touch of botanical beauty to your decor.
A Console Table Behind the Sofa
If you have space, add a thin console table behind the sofa. It serves both decorative and functional purposes. You can adorn the console table with coastal-themed decor, such as seashell-filled vases, beachy sculptures, or coastal artwork, adding depth and visual interest to the wall. Additionally, you can use the console table to display family photos, fresh flowers, or even a stylish table lamp, further enhancing the ambiance. You can then add one picture frame, mirror or gallery wall above it.
3. Light Up the Wall Above the Sofa: Add Sconces
If you want to add both style and functionality, consider adding wall sconces to the sides of the composition or a gallery light above it. This will draw the eyes to the composition, adding ambient light and enhancing the focal point.
Putting it All Together
Incorporating these creative ideas into the wall above your sofa will transform your living room into a coastal haven that radiates comfort and style. Whether you’re embracing the classic Hamptons look or a more relaxed beach cottage vibe, these decor options will help you create a space that feels like a coastal retreat every day. Dive into the charm of coastal chic and let your living room become a coastal masterpiece that tells your beachy story.